For the first time this weekend I made and tried hazelnut ice cream, and now it is one of my new favorite ice cream flavors. This simple recipe needs only three ingredients, and possibly ingredients you will already have in your fridge. This ice cream is the perfect balance between sweet and nutty, and is so refreshing on these hot August summer days. Follow the recipe your own to try yourself!
3 1/2 oz. hazelnuts
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Nutella
Preparing the Hazelnuts:
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment and toast them for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Rub the hazelnuts in a tea towel to remove their husks.
2. Blend the nuts with the sugar in a food processor until finely ground.
Making the Ice Cream:
1. Combine the ground nuts in a saucepan with the milk, cream, and nutella and heat. Stir until the spread has melted. Cover the pan and let it stand for 30 minutes.
2. Refrigerate the mixture until it is completely cold.
3. Strain the mixture and then process it in the ice cream machine until ready. Pour the ice cream into a chilled bowl and freeze.