1 1/2 cups Whole Milk
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
4 large Egg Yolks
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 cups pureed Blackberries (approx. 4 – 6 oz baskets of berries)
1 tablespoon fresh Lemon Juice
1. Combine the milk and sugar in a saucepan and gently warm to just less than scalding.
2. While milk warms, put heavy cream in a large bowl and cover with a fine mesh strainer. Set aside.
3. Whisk egg yolks and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Slowly pour the warm milk into the eggs, whisking constantly. Next pour the egg/milk mix back into the saucepan.
4. Heat the milk/egg yolk mix over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it coats the back of a spoon. Pour through the strainer into the heavy cream. Mix in the blackberry puree and the lemon juice.
5. Stir until cool over an ice bath. Cover and thoroughly chill in the refrigerator (at least a couple hours.)
6. Churn in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
recipe adapted from http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/blackberry-ice-cream/